This page describes how to upgrade your Blacktip to the latest firmware version. This firmware version ships with all new BlackTips, and it includes the latest features we have been working on here at Dive Xtras.
The older version v1.15 production firmware version can be found here
It has the following key features:
- You can tune the motor settings to your individual motor.
- More reliable motor starting can help if you experience jittery start issues.
- A new "Safe Start" methodology.
- More reliable than attempting to detect water.
- Battery imbalance checking can be turned off.
- Helpful if your batteries constantly trigger this error.
Occasionally the characteristics of the motor vary enough that using a generic set of motor parameters for all scooters isn't always the best solution. There are slight variations in the wire thickness and other aspects that create small differences and can cause a problem with the scooter starting. V1.18 is designed for you to set the values for your specific motor. This step is optional, and can be skipped if you do not need to tune your motor.
This firmware contains the latest version of the "Safe Start" feature. We have been making improvements based on user feedback and have changed it slightly. It no longer tries to detect if it is in water to enable the gears, it now detects if anything is blocking the propeller (like your hand) for 3 seconds, and if it finds nothing, then the gears are enabled. If it does find something stopping the prop inside the 3 second window, it turns the motor off. Let us know how you like it!
Some batteries constantly trigger the battery imbalance error, so we added the ability to turn this off. you do this by changing the $x value to zero. More instructions on using the $ values can be found in the video and pocket guide.
The below process needs to be done with your scooter cool. Close to the minimum normal temperature you dive at. Don't do it just after a dive, or if you have been running the scooter on the bench for a while. Here at DX we leave the scooter overnight in the shop, so its cool, about 12-15 centigrade or 50-60 Fahrenheit.
- Download the latest version of the VESC tool. (We are currently using 3.0)
- Download the new firmware v1.18.bin and place it somewhere local on your computer
- Follow the process on the video here.
- Download the pocket guide for v1.18 here
This version retains all the existing options to change settings on your scooter such as:
- Starting Gear
- Select which speed gear your scooter will start up in
- Number of Gears
- Change the amount of speed gears you can cycle up/down through
- Gear Speeds
- Change the velocity of a specific gear, or all of them